RAMS HIT THE AIRWAVES

By Scott Nowoselski

They’re still miles away from a coveted network TV deal, but the Rams can now be heard on the radio.

Toronto Star reporter and FAN 590 personality David Grossman will host his new show, the University Sports Report, Sunday mornings at 9 a.m. on the sports radio station. The show will tackle different issues surrounding Toronto’s three universities.

On the show’s first episode last Sunday, Grossman hosted a discussion with Ryerson’s interim athletic director Jean Kennedy and the athletic directors from York University and U of T. The show focused on recuriting strategies and the universities’ football programs.

“We intend to tackle some of the serious issues,” Grossman said, “and ask questions like ‘What’s wrong with the U of T football team? And why doesn’t Ryerson have a football team?’”

The show will also feature weekly interviews with athletes, which Kennedy hopes will shed a light on some of the school’s upcoming talent.

“We will have an opportunity to be heard every week and have a chance to showcase our athletes. It’s all about the athletes really,” she said.

But if you’re looking for someone to put Ryerson’s current administration on the hot seat, you might have to look elsewhere. Grossman will brief representatives from each of the schools every Saturday about what will be talked about during the next show.

Nonetheless, the show should prove to be a springboard to get the word out about Ryerson’s programs.

“A lot of people still think of Ryerson as a polytechnical institute, but it is now a full-fledged university,” said Grossman. “They’ve got great academic programs. They’ve got great athletes, and people should know about it.”

Last year, Ryerson signed a year-long agreement with an outside party to broadcast basketball and volleyball games on the web. The contract wasn’t renewed this year.

Grossman said the show could prove to be important for high school athletes considering attending Ryerson.

“I think it’s huge that Toronto’s well-respected all-sports radio station… is giving Ryerson a chance to get their message out there,” he said, “I don’t think Ryerson has ever had a chance like this before.”