SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS

By Candis Nevardauskis

Next Saturday at 8 p.m. only drinkers and the most studious will have the luxury of electricity as Ryerson powers down in support of Earth Hour.

The school plans to shut down all the lights, except for the Ram in the Rye, the library and a few lights for safety for the worldwide event meant to reduce greenhouse gases.

“We want to turn out as many lights as we can,” said Ian Hamilton, director of Campus Planning and Facilities.

The school sent out a memo asking staff and faculty to voluntarily turn off their lights. So far the response has been positive, Hamilton said.

As well, the Ryerson Green Campus Initiative has been campaigning to create a buzz for the global movement.

Jordan Matchett of RGCI says the group is putting up posters and distributing fl yers. They plan to hang a banner on either Gould or Church Streets. On the night of the shut down, they’re also looking to hold a games night in the architecture building, at 325 Church St.

Ibrahim (Abe) Snobar, vice-president of Student Life and Events at the Ryerson Students’ Union, said that the RSU would likely plan something to support the event.

Internationally, the plans for Earth Hour are gathering steam. Last year, 2.2 million people and 2,100 businesses turned off their lights in Sydney, Australia. This year, nearly 200 cities and towns will take part in the event, including Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Copenhagen and Dublin.