In NewsLeave a Comment

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Eyeopener Staff

About 60 Ryerson students were shuffling in and out of the International Living Learning Centre in their bathrobes all weekend thanks to a faulty fire alarm.

The alarm on the fourth floor of the student residence went off six times from Friday to Sunday. The faulty alarm has since been repaired.

“We know the students are frustrated, we do understand that,” said housing manager Glen Weppler. “We obviously want to deal with the issue as fast as we can.”

On Saturday, the alarm went off at 1:45 a.m. and then again two hours later. The alarm was deactivated and a fire watch was installed on the floor. A security officer monitored the floor, making occasional rounds throughout to ensure the safety of the students.

Weppler said that safety is the school’s first priority followed by a need to address the problem and finally solve the nuisance.

First-year film student Chelsea Fenton was a student out in the cold during the alarm. “It was very annoying and I wish they would stop,” she said.

Leave a Comment