Briefs and Groaners

A roundup of some of the shadier — and just plain odd — things that happen around Ryerson’s downtown campus.

Just to augment our collective Christmas spirit, Ryerson security was called on Dec. 22 to the womens’ bathroom on the first floor of the RCC to find a man possessing drugs and pornographic material. He had also circled Pitman Hall and the library on a map, and refused to tell security why. (We say he just wanted to be your Santa Claus.)

On Dec. 23rd at 11 a.m., security was called to the Image Arts building construction site to put out a small fire in one of the big garbage bins. There was no damage to the site. We don’t care, the old Salad King burned down. Two words to the garbage bin arsonist: Showed. Up.

Security was called to the Theatre School on Jan. 5 to respond to a woman in her mid-thirties who was throwing desk objects at a staff member who refused to give her money. She missed. She then ran up to a police car that happened to be parked outside, stuck out her tongue, and blew raspberries at the officer inside. It’s probably the most action he got all day.

A residence student was treated by campus emergency staff for minor burns to her hand after she accidentally put her hand on a stove element while talking on the phone. Learn how to cook… Otherwise, better have been hella good phone sex.

Somebody has it out for the Eyeopener News team. Two of the three news editors have had their phones stolen last weekend. One may have fallen out of a bag. The person who found the second phone kept picking up, but carried on some strange conversation in the background and didn’t say anything. Saying that we were Jesus may have led to the phone’s return.

Just in case you bought a new bathing suit, the RAC Pool will be closed for the majority of February and March for renovations under the pool deck. The RAC has an agreement with the Jewish Community Centre at Bloor and Spadina to let their patrons swim there whenever there are renovations. If Google Maps says it takes 3o minutes to walk to Bloor and Spadina, you’re better off in your bathtub.

Ryerson senate will finally decide on Jan. 25 to grant students a fall reading week. They’re considering either giving the rest of the week off after Thanksgiving Monday, or an extra day after Thanksgiving, and then Thursday and Friday off a few weeks later. We’re STOKED!

—Emma Prestwich