The top news stories of the year

Here are our picks for Ryerson’s top news stories of the year.

1. Empress Hotel fire

Arson gutted the historic building at the corner of Yonge and Gould streets around 4 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2011. Three months later, the only piece of publicly available evidence is grainy security footage of a person walking into the alley behind the building around 1:30 a.m., and walking out around 3:50 a.m. Police said he walked Northeast, through Ryerson campus.

2. Rye student charged with hate crime

Ryerson student Eoin McManus was charged with one count of assault and one count of mischief when he and 21-year old Benjamin McCall allegedly beat up Ryan Lester and his brother in the early hours of Jan. 22. McManus and McCall will appear for their third court date on April 6th. McManus’ lawyer said the court is still waiting for more information.

3. Profs walk out of class

Two engineering professors caused a ruckus when they chose to leave incredibly disruptive lectures that they were teaching. Administration said they didn’t support the profs walking out and wished they had sought support first.

4. Librarian creeps on Zanzibar

Dancers at Zanzibar were outraged when photos of them relaxing on the roof of the strip club surfaced on Ryerson librarian Brian Cameron’s flickr account Cameron was taking the photos from his office in the library. A couple of dancers quit, and Zanzibar’s owner advised the women to be more cautious when taking breaks. Cameron is still a librarian and was featured in a recent Ryersonian spread.

5. Rye student homeless after Wellesley fire

Rye midwifery student Khadija Boulaftali was left homeless after a fire ravaged her apartment building at 200 Wellesley St. E. on the evening of Sept. 26. Seven weeks later, she still didn’t have a place to live and was staying with a friend. She moved back into the building on Jan. 7 but many of her belongings were thrown out because of water damage. Boulaftali has not been compensated .

Photo by: Lindsay Boeckl