Salad King awards Rye students

By Venus Mosadeq

Popular Thai food restaurant Salad King has changed the requirements for their annual International Students Award, which is in the second year of its five year term.

Ernest and Lindu Lui, owners of the restaurant, chose to sponsor the program to help international students wanting to attend Ryerson University but are faced with tuition and book expenses.

Once an international student himself, Liu recognizes the challenges these students face. Liu received a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering and a masters in business management.

He immigrated to Canada in 1990 and opened Salad King in 1991.

This year the program allows students to share their personal stories for consideration along with their grades.

“It focuses more on their personal growth and contribution to the international community,” says Natalie Fung, a student volunteer at the International Student Services office.

Students wishing to apply must be international students with a valid study permit and have a GPA of at least 2.0.

Second years and higher can apply with an updated resume and letters of recommendation.

They must also complete the application form and explain why they deserve the award.

President Sheldon Levy said he is happy the university has so many strong relationships with local businesses.

“As long as the students or the university benefit from it, and the business is good and proper, I have no difficulty with it at all,” he said.

The deadline to submit applications is November 30th and the winning students will be notified in January 2012.