News you missed over the break

While you were stuffing your face and sleeping away your break, a lot of things happened around campus. Here’s the News Team’s breakdown on what happened and some stories to watch in 2012

EllisDon granted SLC contract

Ryerson announced its decision to grant construction company EllisDon the $112 million Student Learning Centre project at the corner of Yonge and Gould streets. The 462 square-foot, eight-storey building designed by Zeidler Partnership Architects of Toronto and Snohetta of Oslo, Norway is set to break ground in February and be completed by winter 2014. The project currently stands on task and on budget after a brief interruption with the city’s recommendations to change the store front facade on the Yonge street side.

SLC receives design award

The architectural renderings of the Student Learning Centre (SLC) garnered an Award of Excellence from the Canadian Architect magazine as a significant design project on the Canadian stage. The design was one of only eight to receive the award out of 211 submissions. The SLC was specifically recognized for its “state of the art space and iconic, bold presence on Yonge street.” The SLC was one of four Ontario buildings to recieve the prestigious award.

Liberals open tuition grant

From now until March 31, full-time undergraduate students in good standing with a family salary of less than $160,000 can apply for the $800 per semester grant. The tuition grant was introduced after the Liberals promised a 30 per cent reduction in tuition fees. The grant will continue to match any increases in tuition fees in the future. For students on OSAP, their applications will be automatically submitted. Other students can apply on the provincial website: osap.gov.on.ca

Staff gets Order of Canada nod

Four members of the Ryerson community were appointed to the Order of Canada for their contributions in early January. Among those appointed include Jocephyn Cote-O’Hara, a member of the Board of Governors at Ryerson, who was recognized for her contributions as a business woman and mentor towards the advancement of women in the workforce. Alongside O’Hara, well-known broadcaster Stuart Mclean, former lieutenant governor James Bartleman and architect Bruce Kuwabara also received the honour.

MLSE lawsuit almost settled

Although Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment’s (MLSE) lawsuit against Ryerson University’s use of Maple Leaf Gardens is still ongoing, President Sheldon Levy said that a settlement is nearing. “There have been a number of documents that have gone back and forth between the parties,” he said. “I would say that we are very close to having a good workable relationship between us and I have full expectations that it will all work out.”