All Frosh

S is for Students’ Union

The Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU) is made up of five full-time students who are elected annually to serve and represent the undergraduate student body.

Their recent achievements include a discounted student TTC Metropass and the permanent closure of Gould Street for a pedestrian- only space.

The RSU provides health and dental insurance for all full-time students, who are covered under the Members’ Health and Dental Plan for a yearly fee of $295 included in your tuition. Some of the plan’s benefits include 80 per cent for prescription drugs, $500 for massage therapy, $300 for chiropractic care, and 75 per cent coverage for the cost of the extraction of four wisdom teeth.

Students who are already covered under personal insurance can opt out and be reimbursed starting Sept. 1 at www.optout.rsuonline.ca.

The RSU also offer legal and advocacy services and have created five equity service groups in attempts to overcome marginalization at Ryerson (Community Food Room, Centre for Women and Trans People, Racialised Students’ Collective, RyeACCESS, and RyePRIDE). Each group offers volunteer opportunities and puts on events.

The Students’ Union is also responsible for organizing the Week of Welcome, which culminates with the Parade and Picnic on Friday, Sept. 7.