RSU town hall probes future of education

Sean Wetselaar

News Editor

The Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU), in conjunction with the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) ran an open town hall meeting Wednesday to discuss the future of education.

The meeting was motivated by the announcement in July by Ontario Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, Glen Murray, promising sweeping changes to the post-secondary education system.  The announcement promises to re-vitalize Ontario’s education system, with the biggest changes since the implementation of the community college in the 1960s forthcoming.

Murray gave everyone in the province until Sept. 30 to put together submissions, which the provincial government will consider in the implementation of their changes.  While anyone can submit a proposal, both the RSU and CFS will be submitting larger reports on behalf of students.

Jeremy Salter, a representative of the CFS said that when preliminary meetings were done regarding the announcement, students were not being heard.

“What became quite apparent was that most of the people invited were [administrators],” he said.  “There was very little student representation.”

Students in attendance broke off into groups to discuss eight questions put forth by CFS, and write down their consensus on provided chart paper.

“There was a lot of discussion on all the questions,” Salter said.  “We do have ideas.  We know what impact us and how it affects us.”

The chart paper was transcribed to an email document sent to both the CFS and RSU to consider in their applications.