Three Rams named OUA All-stars

By Charles Vanegas

Sports Editor

Three members of the Ryerson men’s soccer team have been named to the OUA East All-Star first team, days after the Rams were eliminated from the playoffs.

Joining midfielder Alex Braletic and defender Markus Molder on the team was striker Milos Scepanovic, who was also named OUA East Rookie of the Year. Fourth-year forward Peter Haastrup won the OUA East Community Service Award.

The team finished the season with a record of 7 wins – 1 loss – 6 ties, and beat the Laurentian Voyageurs 2-0 in their first-round matchup, before losing 6-3 in a quarterfinal matchup against the Carleton Ravens that went into extra time.

Braletic, who returned this season after taking a year off to focus on academics, was named to his third OUA all-star team. The former two-time CIS All-Canadian said he planned on returning to the team for a fifth and final year, after the disappointing end to the season.

“Everybody in the group knew how strong this team was and the potential behind it — this was a national contending team, and losing in such a manner was utter heartbreak,” he said. “In the past four seasons, we got knocked out of the playoffs three times on penalty shots and this time in extra time. For us, we need to work even harder in the off-season.”

Molder, in his final year, was reflective on his time as a Ram, giving credit to head coach Ivan Joseph, who is also Ryerson’s director of athletics.

“Ivan is the best coach I’ve ever had — not only does he know the game inside and out, but he is a player’s coach. Our boys are like a big family and Ivan has played a huge part in that. He’s taught me so much about the game it still amazes me how little I knew entering varsity soccer.”

Also finishing their careers with the Rams are midfielder Adrian Mancini and two-time OUA all-star Vince D’Elia.

With files from Harlan Nemerofsky

Photos by Carol Kan

[nggallery id=69]