Ryerson student charged in sexual assault case

By Eyeopener Staff

Toronto Police charged 20-year-old Alaa Ali Hejazi with sexual assault and forcible confinement early Wednesday morning.

Hejazi was confirmed to be a Ryerson student by his attorney, Jordan Weisz, outside of the Finch West courtroom Thursday afternoon.

The Globe and Mail reports Hejazi is registered as a second-year business and technology management student at Ryerson University. A Facebook account under the name of Alaa Hejazi is subscribed to, or liked, a page called Ryerson University – Class of 2015.

Hejazi faced 11 charges in court Thursday, following a delay Wednesday afternoon. The charges include two counts of sexual assault with a weapon, two counts of forcible confinement and threatening death.

Police say a man broke into a home Monday morning near Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue after posing as a newspaper salesman. He then allegedly sexually assaulted two women on the premises and fled after removing some of the women’s possessions from the home.

Hejazi turned himself in to police at 12 Division early Wednesday morning after investigators released photo and video surveillance with Hejazi’s likeness.  Hejazi’s mother was present when he turned himself in.

Weisz said that Hejazi is a bright, typical 20-year-old. He said the accused spends his time playing computer and video games and helping out around the house, especially with his two younger sisters.

“He’s quite frankly been a role model to them,” Weisz said. “Which is why his family finds it so shocking to have him in this position.”

Court was adjourned until Nov. 22.

More to come.