Women’s basketball team gets first win at home

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson women’s basketball team put up a strong showing on Friday, beating the Queen’s Gaels 67-44 — their first home win of the season.

The Rams held the Gaels to just 32 per cent shooting from the field for the game — which included a second quarter in which they allowed only nine points — and managed to force 23 turnovers.

“We moved the ball well, we played good defense,” said Rams head coach Carly Clarke. “We did a great job of executing [our game plan] today.”

Point Guard Cassandra Nofuente had a big game — grabbing nine rebounds, 10 assists, and five steals.

“Today I didn’t really look to score because I saw my teammates open and getting them the ball is what I’m supposed to do as a point guard,” said Nofuente.

The Rams had lost six straight at home, before Friday’s win.

“When we’re on the road we have a built-in team routine because we’re all together, and I don’t think all of our girls have found that same routine when we’ve been at home,” said Clarke. “I think we’re still working on those details as we get into better routines [and] hopefully we’ll have some better performances at home.”

The Rams are now 5-9 on the season. As Friday’s game was relocated to the Rams’ old home court, Kerr Hall Gymnasium, they’ll look to get their first win at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Feb. 1 when they host the York Lions.