Men’s hockey wins shootout thriller

By Jordan Mady

The Ryerson men’s hockey team took down the Concordia Stingers in a crucial 5-4 shootout win at the Mattamy Athletic Centre Saturday.

After Concordia took a late lead in the third period, Ryerson forward Michael Fine scored the game-tying goal to salvage the game.

“We were down, we needed a goal,” Fine said. “Obviously it’s always nice to be the guy who gets that goal for [their] team, but at that point, anybody who would have gotten it, [it] would have been big for the team.”

“It was huge,” said defenceman Kent McPherson, who scored earlier in the game. “It was kind of back and forth in the third period there and it felt good going into overtime.”

McPherson took a shot in the ankle early in the first period that forced him to leave the ice. The first-year forward was able to finish the game and said it wasn’t serious.

With the season on the line, head coach Graham Wise elected to start fifth-year goalie Louie George instead of second-year Troy Passingham, who started the majority of the games this season.

“Louie’s our fifth-year guy and we’re honouring our fifth-year players,” Wise said.

“I also felt that the two previous games Louie had played, he played well.”

With the shootout win, Ryerson moves up three points on Concordia for the final playoff spot in the OUA.

The Rams have five days off before they hit the road to take on third-placed McGill on Feb. 8.

Photos by Halla Imam and Charles Vanegas

[nggallery id=96]