Rams upset by lowly Varsity Blues

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson Rams (14-5) were shocked on Friday night, losing to the last-place University of Toronto Varsity Blues 67-61.

The loss — their third straight — cost the Rams a shot at second place in the OUA East and a first-round bye in the playoffs.

“I don’t know what happened tonight. They played a good game,” said forward Bjorn Michaelsen. “I think maybe chemistry [is to blame]. We’re not playing very well together.”

The Blues (3-16) jumped all over the Rams from the start — outscoring them 25-12 in the first quarter.

The Rams were held to 33 per cent shooting from the field for the game and 14 per cent from beyond the arc. The Rams didn’t hit their first three-pointer until the fourth quarter.

Star point guard Jahmal Jones shot 2 for 15 and finished with just 6 points.

U of T guard  and former Ram Dylan Churchill said he enjoyed playing against his former team.

“It was a good feeling. I’m friends with a lot of the guys on the [Rams] so there is no hate at all between us,” said Churchill. “I just wanted to have a good game and perform well. I think it went pretty well.”

The Rams will attempt to avenge the loss on Saturday, when they host the Blues at the Mattamy Athletic Centre at 8 p.m.

“We learn with every game. Who knows, this may be our turning point of the season,” said Michaelsen. “Maybe it just makes us more angry now.”

Photos by Charles Vanegas

[nggallery id=102]