Rams win, avenge loss to Laurentian

By Monique Hutson

The Ryerson men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to four, defeating the Laurentian Voyageurs 89-84 on Saturday night.

With the win, the Rams (14-2) were able to avenge a devastating two-point loss to the Voyageurs in Sudbury on Jan. 18. Ryerson came out strong, leading 11-0 within the first three minutes of the game.

“We didn’t want to lose to them again. Simple as that,” said guard Aaron Best, who finished with 20 points. “We remembered very, very vividly what happened the last time and we didn’t want it to happen again.”

The Rams were led by the stellar play of Best and point guard Jahmal Jones (21 points, 5 assists). Shooting guard Ostap Choliy was huge on both sides of the ball, picking up 7 steals to go with his 13 points.

The Voyageurs were able to keep the game within reach due to the three-point shooting ability (6 for 12) of their star point guard, Manny Pasquale, who managed to score 36 points.

“It’s hard [to defend] when he drains crazy shots like that — those are undefendable,” said Rams head coach Roy Rana, referring to a wild, off-balance three made by Pasquale in the final seconds of the game. “But I thought we did enough earlier to kind of maintain our separation and get a quality win.”

The Rams will head out to Ottawa next weekend to face a pair of nationally ranked teams. They’ll look to avenge their previous loss to the top-ranked Carleton Ravens on Friday, Feb. 8, and look to further their lead on the eighth-ranked Ottawa Gee-Gees on Saturday, Feb. 9.

[nggallery id=98]