UQTR wins, Rams trail 1-0 in playoff series

By Josh Beneteau

The Ryerson Rams opened the playoffs with a tough 5-2 loss against the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Patriotes. Michael Fine and Jamie Wise scored for the Rams, but penalties cost them any chance to keep momentum for long.

“That’s the type of refereeing we get in Quebec and we got it here in Ontario,” said Rams head coach Graham Wise. “We got in penalty trouble and that’s what hurt us.”

Three of UQTR’s five goals came on the powerplay and Ryerson took six penalties.

“The refs, they call the game and I can’t do anything about it,” said forward Jamie Wise. “It’s in their hands, and that’s it. We’ll move on.”

Ryerson’s goals came in the span of a minute, and gave Ryerson the momentum for much of the third period.

“I just tried to freeze him, make him go down,” Wise said, referring to his own goal. “He went down and I just tucked it back around him.”

Louie George made 23 saves in his first playoff game for the Rams.

Defenceman Kent McPherson and forward Greg Payne left the game with injuries, but both managed to return to the game.

“These are tough kids, these are resilient kids,” said head coach Graham Wise. “I know our doctor and therapy people will do a good job to get them ready to go Saturday.”

Former Rams hockey player and current ESPN host John Saunders was on hand for the ceremonial puck drop.

The Rams will head to Trois-Rivières, Que., on Saturday for game two of the best-of-three series. Game three will be played on Sunday if necessary.

Photos by Charles Vanegas

[nggallery id=101]