Women’s basketball loses to York

By Charles Vanegas

The Ryerson women’s basketball team (5-10) dropped a close one on Friday to the York Lions 70-61.

While the Rams remained competitive, they couldn’t overcome a terrible start in the first, when they were outscored 24 to 11.

“We didn’t show up ready to play today,” said head coach Carly Clarke. “York is in a position where they have to win and they came ready and got after it. They outworked us. It’s a tough thing to come back from.”

The Rams struggled to match York’s three-point efficiency (just 2 for 15 compared to 10-26 for the Lions), as well as rebounding.

“They were outrebounding us on both ends of the floor,” said point guard Cassandra Nofuente, who led the team with 18 points. “Our screen and roll worked pretty well, [but it came down to] rebounds.”

Guard Kelcey Wright was held to just four points before she fouled out in the fourth quarter.

“Teams are keying on her. They’re trying to take her shots away and I think York frustrated her today,” said Clarke. “We need her to do other things if she’s not scoring, we need her on the floor to be successful, and we didn’t have that today.”

The Rams will look to rebound on Saturday when they host the Laurentian Voyageurs on Saturday at 6 p.m. at the MAC.

[nggallery id=95]