Stabbing near Victoria and Gould

By Sean Wetselaar

Features Editor

One man has been charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after a Ryerson student was stabbed multiple times Wednesday night near the campus bookstore, on Gould Street, near Yonge.

The victim, a 26-year-old male, was stabbed upwards of seven times in the back and torso after engaging in an altercation with two men.  Two suspects, aged 21 and 23, were arrested at 11:44 p.m. on July 24.

The victim was rushed to the hospital with serious, but not life-threatening injuries.

The victim did not know his attackers.

The 23-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon, and appeared in court Thursday.  The 21-year-old was released.

Rhyan Allim, a Ryerson New Media student, came across the victim as the suspects fled the scene.  According to Allim, one man almost ran into him and his friend as they were walking down Gould Street, towards Victoria.

The next thing he saw was a man screaming that he had been stabbed.

“And he walked over to the bookstore, and he braced himself against it, and he was holding his [chest] around the armpit area,” Allim said.  “And you could clearly see that there was blood.  I wouldn’t say that it was pouring out, but it was definitely going through his shirt.”

Another man on the scene called 911, while Allim gave the victim a spare shirt from his gym bag to put pressure on the wound.

Police arrived at the scene about two minutes later.

According to Allim, the victim repeated several times that the knife he was stabbed with was only the length of a finger.

“It was pretty surreal, you always see security updates, and you see people getting assaulted or robbed, and you’re like ‘Ah, I’ve never seen anything like that, so it’s probably never going to happen to me,’” he said. “And when you see it in person it’s just a little frightening I guess, to see that it really does happen and it can happen to anyone.”

Editor’s note: The post was updated on July 26 to reflect new information.