A student’s guide to Toronto Beer Week

By Julie Sullivan

Scholars, it’s Toronto’s Beer Week again, and we all know student life should always include beer. The Eyeopener has surveyed the 80 bars and breweries participating, done the research and narrowed it down for you. Behold, Ryerson. Here are your closest, cheapest and best options.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18

To kick things off, head to The Beer Academy (75 Victoria St.) at 3 p.m. for the Golden Tap Awards. You can sample the Beer Academy’s St. John Marzen, a limited edition collaboration beer that was brewed with certified cicerone and beer columnist Jordan St. John, paired with some great cheese.

Then, from 5–7 p.m., cruise over to the Monarch Tavern (12 Clinton St.) for the Ontario Craft Beer and Sausage Hour, where you can enjoy your pick of 15 craft beers alongside a homemade, all-natural artisanal sausage, all for $10.

If you still haven’t had your fill of delicious beer and sausage, The Painted Lady (218 Ossington Ave.) will be dishing out Cameron’s Auburn Ale until 4 a.m. The best part? A $6.50 pint comes with a free barbecued sausage.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19

Get a head start by drinking at 2 p.m. on Thursday afternoon at The Cloak and Dagger (394 College St.), where Spearhead Brewery will present The Big Kahuna Hang Loose Party, with a wide selection of beers.

Then, for all you Michael Jackson fans, The Rhino (1249 Queen St. W.) will host Beer Hunter’s The Story of Michael Jackson, a charitable event featuring a film screening and interviews with leading brewers and beer writers about how Michael changed the world of craft beer forever. With the $20 admission, you get two commemorative beers and light appetizers. Additional beer will be available to purchase (of course), and proceeds from the event will be donated to Parkinson’s research.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20

A personal favourite of mine, this craft beer pub has a keg in the wall where they brew their own beer. (It’s only good for a few days, so hurry.) If you want great atmosphere, people who know beer and an amazing menu, look no further. From 7–9 p.m., Stout Irish Pub (221 Carlton St.) will be hosting Paula from Creemore Springs Brewery. If you know Paula, then you know what kind of party it’ll be. If you don’t, then you don’t know what you’re missing

This one’s a little further out there, but with this line-up — a mix of folk, bluegrass and a little bit of country — you’re not going to want to miss it. From 8 p.m.–3 a.m. at 3030 (3030 Dundas St. W.), Steam Whistle will present Gram International, a one-night music festival honouring American musician Gram Parsons on the 40th anniversary of his death. Cover is $10.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20

If you, like I, dig pizza for breakfast, head to Corks Maple Leaf Square (15 York St.) at 11 a.m. for an amazing deal: a 10-inch stone-oven pizza and a pint of Ontario craft beer for only $10.

Then, to cap things off, head back to The Monarch Tavern (12 Clinton St.) at 10 p.m. for brit-pop and other good stuff with hosts George & Nikki. With free admission, 15 local craft beers on tap, Cask ale and plenty of bourbon, how could you go wrong? (Well, besides passing out.)

Check out the rest of Toronto Beer Week’s schedule at torontobeerweek.com/calendar/