Men’s Rams win two in a row

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson Ram’s men’s soccer team (2-0-1) defeated the Nipissing Lakers (1-3-0) 4-1 at Monarch Park Stadium on Sunday for their second consecutive win.

Alex Braletic scored twice, while Armin Tankovic and Greg Wise added goals as the Rams continued their regular season unbeaten streak to 16 games dating back to last season.

“I think the score was a little misleading,” said Rams associate head coach Filip Prostran. “We’re fortunate enough to get the three points against them today [but] I don’t think we played pretty well.”

Despite badly out-shooting the Lakers 10-4 on the game, the Rams were outplayed by the Lakers at the start of the first half.

“They defended very well [which made it] difficult for us to break them down in the beginning,” said Prostan. “Armin and Alex scored some nice goals for us and there’s nothing like an early goal to settle a team down, that’s for sure.”

The Rams scored three consecutive goals, starting with veteran Braletic ushered a beautiful teammate-feed in 33rd minute.

Tankovic added a point from outside the box in the 40th minute.

Just three minutes later Braletic scored his second goal of the game on a rocket of shot from way outside the box, again.

“To be honest Alex and Armin, talent-wise…You won’t find two guys more talented than them,” said Prostran.

The Rams controlled the rest of the first half easily but faced a completely different Nipissing team in the second half.

The Lakers came out of halftime energized and applied more pressure on the Rams defense which eventually lead to their lone goal.

Nipissing’s Brandon TeBrake cut the deficit to two with a score at the 60th minute but the Rams regained momentum after scoring on another long shot from first-year Wise.

“We got the result that we wanted but we have a lot of areas to improve on,” said Braletic. “We kind of see our play developing to where we want it to be.

“We’re not quite there yet but slowly but surely we’re getting there.”

The Rams kick off a four-game road trip when they face the Toronto Varsity Blues this Sunday at Varsity Centre.