Rams defeat Toronto at Varsity Centre

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson Rams men’s soccer team extended their regular season undefeated streak to 17 games as they defeated the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 3-0 at Varsity Centre on Sunday.

“I thought they had the run of the play for most of the game,” said Ryerson associate head coach Filip Prostan.  “We had a couple moment where we just capitalized on a couple of their errors and created a couple of good things.”

Rams’ striker Armin Tankovic scored in the 10th minute on an incredible individual effort after failing to capitalize on his first two chances.

In the 22nd minute, former Ontario University Athletics all-star Alex Braletic capitalized on a mistake by the Blues and chipped the ball over the keeper’s head to put Ryerson up 2-0.

But after a flurry of early scoring opportunities to begin the game, Toronto primarily controlled the first half.

The Rams played better in the second half but it was a tightly contested match.
Midfielder Martin Dabrowski sealed the game for Ryerson with his goal into injury time, putting the Rams up 3-0.
The Rams out-shot the Blues 8-5 and out-corner kicked them, 5-4. However, each team seemed to take issue with some of the referee’s judgment today.
Midway through the first half, Rams’ Tankovic appeared to be blatantly held by a Toronto defender yet a foul was called on him. Later in the first half, the referee appeared to make some questionable foul calls on the Varisty Blues while they were defending.

“It’s not my job to critique the refs,” said Prostan. “I’m sure they would critique my coaching just the same.”

Sunday was the first time Ryerson has defeated the Blues on their home field.

Rams first-year midfielder Cameron Galea-Andrews left the game early in the first half.

“He just got a knock in the ankle,” said Prostan. “[Once he] puts some ice on it he’ll be fine.”

The Rams will look to continue their regular season undefeated streak against Trent this Wednesday at Downsview Park.

For a complete gallery, check out the Eyeopener on Flickr.