Women’s soccer: Rams defeat Trent

By Luke Galati

Ryerson’s women’s soccer team defeated Trent Excalibur 4-1 Wednesday night at Downsview Park.

Katlyn Rocha scored twice, while Sarah Slattery and Rebecca Arnott added tallies, as the Rams (2-4-0) doubled last year’s win total through just six games.

“It’s definitely good coming off a win [because] we have a very tough game against Queen’s [University] this weekend. We’re hoping to take some points this weekend and carry our momentum to Kingston,” said head coach Kevin Souter.

Rocha started off the scoring in the 10-minute mark after receiving a ball that bounced off a Trent defender before picking the bottom left corner on goalkeeper Amy Vincent.

However, Trent (1-7-0) was quick to respond as striker Brandi Yuhasz-Morrison tied the game in the 37-minute mark.

But in the second half it was all Rams, as they scored three goals in a 24-minute span and out-shot Excalibur six to one.

In the second half Slattery gave the Rams a 2-1 lead at the 65-minute mark for her first career OUA goal.

“I’m a centre defender, so it feels great to score,” Slattery said. “I’m known as this big tall centre that’s a target for corner kicks and I haven’t capitalized before so I feel I’ve broken the ice and hopefully I’ll score more this season.”

Slattery also showed grit by playing through an injury.

“I went up for a header and came down and cracked my back tooth in half [but] I’ve broken my nose before, so this doesn’t even compare,” Slattery said.

Arnott scored at the 73-minute mark to give the Rams a comfortable two-goal lead.

In minute 89, Rocha added salt to the wound by scoring her second goal of the night, giving the Rams a 4-1 lead.

The last time the Rams won by three or more goals was on Sept. 28, 2011 also against Trent Excalibur.

“Sarah … scoring her first goal as a Ram was a nice cap to our night,” coach Souter said.

The Rams will continue their four-game road trip when they face the Queen’s Gaels on Saturday and the Royal Military College of Canada on Sunday.