Rams get last laugh versus U of T

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson Rams men’s volleyball team won a thriller over the Toronto Varsity Blues Friday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre to earn their first win of the season by a score of 3-2 (19-25, 25-20, 22-25, 25-20, 15-12).
Robert Wojcik led the Rams with a game-high 14 kills and Alex Dawson chipped in with 10 kills, nine digs and three service aces to help ensure the victory.

However, the Rams looked rusty to start the game, losing the first set 25-19.

“In the last five years when we have played [Toronto] all of the games went to five sets,” said head coach Mirek Porosa. “We knew it was going to be scrappy, it’s going to be ugly, [but] we pulled out [the win] with heart.”

Former Rams setter Aleksa Miladinovic played against his former team for the first time since joining the Varsity Blues this season.

Miladinovic, who played for Ryerson the last three seasons, joined the Varsity Blues after being accepted to University of Toronto’s a prestigious pharmacy program this past summer.

The Rams won the second set but lost the third set and appeared to be on the verge of defeat in the fourth set when Rams outside hitter Mildan Chitan came up with a huge block  to give the Rams a “spark.”

“[After the block] everybody just relaxed and got loose,” said Porosa.

Ryerson rode the momentum created from that block to win the set and jump out to an 8-3 advantage in the fifth set.

However, Toronto didn’t let up and battled back to get the game within one. The teams exchanged points until Rams outside hitter Brandon Jordan hit a beautiful shot that just landed on the sideline to seal the win.

Jeff Ardron, Will Otten and Adam Anoagnostopoulos made their Rams debuts on Friday.

“I thought I was mediocre at best,” said Ardron about his performance. “I could have done a lot more, but we managed to come out with the win. It’s all about the team.”

Despite struggling at times Porosa said he was happy with his rookies’ performances.

“I understand what a 17-year-old kid is going through playing veteran team where most of the guys are fourth year players,” said Porosa.

The Rams will host the York Lions next Sunday at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.