Ryerson scores diversity grant from RBC

By Sierra Bein

Ryerson announced Thursday Nov. 14 that it received a $1.75 million grant from the Royal Canadian Bank (RBC) to fund the RBC Immigrant, Diversity, and Inclusion project, which is an action-oriented research study into the economic and social issues facing immigrants.

The other component of the project is to create student internships, that target specific issues and populations. Internships will be available on campus and in partnership with not-for-profit and community partners including RBC.

“We are very pleased that RBC has chosen to direct this gift to Ryerson and to advancing action-oriented research and offering immediate benefits to immigrants today,” said Wendy Cukier, vice president research and innovation and founder of the diversity institute at Ryerson.

“The RBC Immigrant, Diversity and Inclusion Project will help reduce immigrant underemployment, advance our understanding of immigrant markets and community needs, and properly harness the skills of immigrant entrepreneurs. Together with a strong partner, Ryerson is committed to integrating theory with practice to effect change,” she said.

The Immigrant, Diversity and Inclusion project allows Ryerson to build on its qualities as a multicultural school.

Ryerson already makes significant contributions to research by shaping immigration policy and promoting entrepreneurship and innovation.

The announcement came, following a panel discussion at Ryerson called “Journey to Success: Insights from Immigrant Entrepreneurs” which included prominent business, media and community leaders.

“At RBC, we are passionate about promoting diversity and inclusion because it’s not just the right thing to do it’s the smart thing to do,” said Janice Fukakusa, chief administrative officer and chief of financial officer from RBC. “That’s why we’re pleased to be funding this important research to make a real and positive difference for new Canadians.”

This investment of RBC will drive Ryerson to get closer to its $200 million fundraising goal for its Make Your Mark campaign, which is focused on strengthening our research agenda and providing students with better opportunities to give students a more career-oriented education.