A beautiful sound

By Emma Cosgrove

If you’re craving a wild night of music and good company, you’re in luck. On Friday, Dec. 6, Ryerson band Beaudifulhors will be playing one of their notoriously high-energy shows, complete with crowd chants and a whole lot of jumping around.

The show, held at Annex bar The Central, will showcase the Rye band as well as an array of local talent: Seed Of Nature, Black Lady Soul and Boone Helm.

Beaudifulhors are one of many up-and-coming artists involved in Musicians@Ryerson, a rapidly growing student group that aims to build a network of musicians in the Ryerson community, hosting shows, events and workshops for artists.

The group call their unique sound a fusion of hip-hop, rock, funk and jazz, drawing influence from The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, and Jimi Hendrix, among others. Despite their playful attitudes, all five members are devoted to the band and hope to continue playing together long into the future.

“We sound like we’re joking but we’re dead, dead serious about this,” said Mohammed Yassin, vocalist, rapper and third-year sociology student at Ryerson. He added that live shows are the key to the group’s success.

“Come out for an experience; it’s not just a show you just kind of see and then you leave, there’s an atmosphere of an occasion,” said Ishan Sharma, vocalist, beat-boxer and electrical engineering student.

Aside from their Dec. 6 show, Beaudifulhors are also playing in the final round of a Landmark Events showcase competition on Jan. 25 at the Virgin Mobile Mod Club. They placed fourth out of 14 bands in the first round and are hoping to snag the prize of an EP recorded and mixed by one of the top producers in Canada, as well as an industry showcase at Club Soda in Montreal.