Men’s volleyball loses in three straight sets

By Sarah Cunningham-Scharf

The Ryerson men’s volleyball team lost to the Western University Mustangs in three straight sets on Jan. 25.

“We came out very flat,” assistant coach Lukas Perosa said. “They put pressure on us from the beginning and we just didn’t come to play.”

Both teams came out strong in the first set, but Western completed 25 per cent of their kills while Ryerson completed 4 per cent — the main factor behind Western’s 25-21 win.

In the second set, Western dominated 25-17 thanks to offensive skills of OUA seventh-ranked Phil James — James had a team-high 11 kills with an 83 per cent completion rate.

Ryerson had better offense in the third set but still fell short losing 23-25.  Setter Adam Anagnostopoulos had three kills, but with defensive and serving errors the Rams gave it away.

“No one really rose to the occasion,” Anagnostopoulos said. “That was really our problem, we didn’t have a leader on the court today.”

For their game against Windsor University on Sunday, he says the team needs to have a better warm-up, come out with a positive attitude and have consistency on offense.

Assistant coach Perosa is positive going into the game against Windsor, but said the team lacked the energy needed to win the game against Western.