Men’s volleyball wins seventh of eight games in 2014

By Josh Beneteau

The Ryerson men’s volleyball team wasted no time rebounding from their loss against Western University on Saturday by taking on the Windsor University Lancers the next day — and winning three straight sets.

“Today was another day where we clicked,” said out-side hitter Robert Wojcik. “After yesterday’s loss we all came together today and did exactly what we had to.”

Wojcik usually leads the Rams offensively, but newcomer Lucas Coleman took the reins on Sunday — posting a career high 18 kills. Wojcik finished the game with 13 kills and a service ace, while Adam Anagnostopoulos, with five blocks, and Marc Reardon, with three blocks, led the way defensively.

“I knew we had to win this one to get a better spot in the playoffs,” Coleman said. “So I wanted to come in and play strong.”

This was the first time Coleman played an entire regular season game.

“This is the first time we all saw what he can really bring,” Wojcik said. “He connected well with our setter, he brought a lot of energy and definitely was a big part of our win.”

The Rams got off to a slow start in the first set, going down 5-1. But they held on and when it was tied 25-25, power hitter Alex Dawson came off the bench and scored the winning point on a service ace.

Wojcik said that Dawson didn’t start because the last time Ryerson played Windsor — and lost — they had all of their “hardest hitting guys” on the court. “So [head coach Mirek Porosa’s] idea was to get some guys who could get good shots instead,” Wojcik said.

The Rams blew the game open in the second set, going up 16-11 and finishing with a 25-15 win.

The third set was closer but once it was tied 21-21, the Rams didn’t hold back to clinch the set and the match.

The Rams have now won seven of their eight games in 2014 and are currently fifth in OUA rankings — four points back of York University, which also won Sunday.

“If we play like we did today we won’t be stopped,” Wojcik said. “What we need to work on is keeping our energy at a stable level and the rest will come with that.”