Women’s hockey loses in shootouts

By Krista Robinson

The Guelph University Gryphons (16-3-0) defeated the Rams (5-15-1) 2-1 in a shootout on Saturday at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. This is the first Ryerson game to end in a shootout this season.

Gryphon Christine Grant scored the only goal in the first period at 7:44, putting Guelph up 1-0. The Rams were outshot 12-4.

Despite two Ryerson penalties in the second, goalie Alex Armstrong kept the Rams in the game — saving 16 shots.

“I played well but I couldn’t have done it without the support of my team behind me,” Armstrong said. “My team played unreal for 65 minutes and because of that I was able to do my job, keeping the pucks out.”

But the Rams inability to keep possession of the puck resulted in only three shots on goal in the second period.

With a power play to start the third, the Rams were able to capitalize — forward Emily Popelar scored a goal at 1:18. Despite the final shot count at 46-13 in favour of the Gryphons, the score remained a 1-1 tie at the end of the third.

Overtime didn’t solve anything. But by the fifth shootout, Leigh Shilton scored the winning goal for the Gryphons on the glove side.

Guelph is now first in the OUA.

Rams’ interim head coach Pierre Alain said his team played one of their best games of the season.

“They played through 65 minutes. They showed for 65 minutes. They pushed for 65 minutes,” he said. “They have to play with a sense of urgency, and they did that today.”

Next, the Rams take on the Western University Mustangs in London on Jan. 31.