Women’s volleyball continues winning streak

By Delia Xenophontos 

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team defeated the Western University Mustangs 3-1 to extend their winning streak to five.

The Rams came out charging, establishing a nine-point lead at the technical time out, with a 16-7 score. Late in the set, the Mustangs answered with three straight kills to put them within three — a 19-16 score.

Veronica Livingston, who had a game-high 15 kills, finished the set off with a kill and the Rams took a 1-0 lead.

For much of the second set, the Rams and Mustangs were even. At one point, the Rams had a four-point lead (20-6), but the Mustangs took their first lead of the set at 23-22. They finished the set strong and won 25-22 to tie the match at 1-1.

The Western Mustangs kept their momentum from the second and started the third off with a 4-1 lead, but it didn’t take long for the Rams to respond. The Rams had a 4-0 run to take a 5-4 lead. By the technical timeout, the Rams were up 16-14.

Out of the next 8 points, the Mustangs took six — for a 20-17 lead. Again, the Rams were quick to respond. Rams went on a 7-1 run to take a 24-21 lead, followed by a set win of 25-22 and an overall 2-1 lead.

By the fourth set, an 8-0 run helped the Rams take a 10-4 lead before they got six straight points to win the set 25-14 and win the game 3-1.

Veronica Livingston got a game-high 15 kills and was in on six blocks, she finished the game with 22 points. Julie Longman led the team’s defence with a game-high 14 digs and Chelsea Briscoe picked up her 100th career dig.

The Ryerson Rams will host the Windsor University Lancers on Sunday at 2 p.m.