Women’s volleyball undefeated in 2014

By Josh Beneteau

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team continued their impressive start to 2014 by winning three straight sets (26-24, 25-20, 25-21) against the Windsor University Lancers on Sunday.

Two Rams reached career milestones in the game. Chelsea Jensen picked up her 400th hit and Emily Nicholishen reached her 500th career point.

“They’ve both been working hard for a number of years,” head coach Dustin Reid said. “It was great to hear them recognized by the announcer.”

Kristina Vlcek led the way for the Rams, picking up 12 kills and 15 points in her first game back after having frost bite. Veronica Livingston and Nicholishen followed with 9 kills each.

“I’m just happy I got to play,” Vlcek said. “Knock on wood, we’re undefeated [in 2014] and hopefully it stays that way.”

The Rams got off to a slow start in the first set, falling behind 6-1 quickly. But after a timeout they were able to regroup and close the gap. The comeback was completed when — down 24-22 — they scored four straight points to win the set.

“Windsor came out very focused and very motivated,” Reid said. “[Our] players were a little late engaging in the battle.”

The second set was close up to the technical timeout, with Windsor leading 16-15. But the Rams came out of the timeout and dominated the rest of the set — going up 24-19 and winning it 25-20.

“[In] each set we had our ups and downs,” Reid said. “After 20 we were very consistent and very solid.”

The third set was almost identical to the second. Once they were tied 21-21, the Rams switched gears and didn’t give up another point. With the playoffs only a couple weeks away, this six-game win streak is a big boost to the team.

“This was our plan as a team, to peak when he had to,” Vlcek said. “Everyone is working hard, we are all trying our best and it’s paying off.”