Men’s soccer now 3-0 after win against Trent

By Mitch Bowmile

The Ryerson men’s soccer team’s undefeated streak is still intact following a 4-1 victory over the Trent Excalibur Wednesday night. The Rams are now 3-0-0 to start the season and have now gone 30 straight (22-0-8) regular season games without a loss.

Right from the get go the Rams were dominating the game, controlling the ball mostly in the offensive zone.

It wasn’t long before they were able to get on the scoreboard as a Nick Lambis shot sped down the grass out of Trent goaltender David Ellis’ reach less than 10 minutes into the game.

With the extra momentum given to the players after the early lead, midfielder Marko Miketic was able to knock another one in with a powerful kick that bounced off the bottom of the crossbar into the back of the net.

“I’m just kind of in the right space at the right time,” said Miketic, who now has two goals this year. “Lambis jumped up, was right there for the header so I was just able to swoop it in.”

With Ryerson now up by two, tempers began to flare, including a yellow card to Excalibur Will Horton for a bad tackle.

The Rams answered right back to the added aggression with another goal as Stephen Piliotis sent a ball flying out of reach as it curved and hit hard in the back of the net to give them their second goal in just five minutes.

“I saw the goalie was a little bit off his line and I just hit it and it went in,” said Piliotis.

Just before the end of the half Horton punched Piliotis in the stomach, which got him kicked out of the game.

“The guy just caught me off guard, he turned around and punched me right in the stomach…knocked the wind out of me,” Piliotis said.

The Rams were just as eager to start things up again as Luka Lee scored another goal just minutes into the second half to boost the lead to 4-0.

The game remained static until the end when Ryerson got multiple opportunities without a goal. Trent managed to get one goal on the scoreboard late in the game, making that the first goal scored on the Rams this season.

The Rams now travel to Ottawa to first play the Carleton Ravens Saturday.

Correction: A previous version of this story said that the team had won 30 games in a row. They have gone 30 games without a loss, but that includes eight ties. 

A previous version of this story said the team is playing a game on Sunday against the University of Ottawa. They are not.