The Eye picks: what’s worth watching at TIFF

Josh Beneteau and Leah Hansen are your guides in the bewildering sea of TIFF films

This is Where I Leave You

After their father’s death, distant siblings (including Tina Fey and Jason Bateman) are forced to come together for a weekend of healing and dysfunction. 2:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Elgin/Winter Garden Theatre.

Hector and the Search for Happiness.

A psychiatrist with no real-world skills (Simon Pegg) takes off on a journey to discover what true happiness is, leaving his practice and his relationship behind. Its wide release date is Oct. 3.

The Theory of Everything

This film is a biopic of Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) and his courtship with his wife Jane (Felicity Jones) as his disease slowly take over his body. Its wide release is set for Nov. 7.

The Imitation Game

This film tells the story of Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) as he creates a machine to unscramble Nazi codes during WWII.  3 p.m. Sept. 10 and 10 p.m. Sept. 11 at the Princess of Wales Theatre.

Foxcatcher

The true story of Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) — an Olympic wrestler — and his sponsor (Steve Carrell), who has some dark plans. Mark Ruffalo co-stars. Its wide release date is Nov. 14.

St. Vincent

Bill Murray stars as a crotchety old man who babysits neighbour’s child. Murray teaches the kid unconventional skills like fighting and gambling. 9:30 p.m. Sept. 12, Princess of Wales Theatre.

Rosewater

Jon Stewart’s directorial debut takes a look at the relationship between journalists and those in power. It is based on true events. Its run at the festival has ended, but it comes out in wide release Nov. 7.

Nightcrawler

Jake Gyllenhaal plays a drifter who gets involved with the dark side of L.A. journalism, joining a group of photographers scouring the city for gritty crime scene footage. 9 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Ryerson Theatre.

Cake

Claire (Jennifer Aniston) joins a chronic pain support group only to become embroiled in investigating the suicide of another member (Anna Kendrick). 12 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Princess of Wales Theatre.