Women’s soccer makes it two in a row with a win against RMC

By Matt Ouellet

The Ryerson women’s soccer team (2-5-0) extended their streak to two wins Sunday with a 2-1 victory at home over the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC).

Ryerson’s first scoring opportunity came in just the second minute of the game. Striker Alex Rodkin cut in from the right into the 18 yard box and fired off a low shot that bounced off the left post and into the net, putting the Rams up 1-0.

After getting off to an early lead, and only one day after their first win of the season against Queen’s, coach Kevin Suter said it was important for the team to stick to the game plan.

“We put in a lot of mental and physical energy into yesterday’s game,” Suter said. “The risks of that are being a little bit lazy and off the pace in the second game, but it was one of those games where we had to remain focused.”

It didn’t take too long for Rodkin to follow up with her sixth goal of the season, scored in the 22nd minute of the game, one which was earned on a penalty shot after getting taken down in the goal box by an RMC defender.

The Rams continued to put up solid offence for the rest of the first half with some very promising shots coming from Sarah Harvey and Nicole Paiva.

The 35th minute had the Rams start to lose control, as RMC was able to cut the lead to one. Six minutes later, Rodkin suffered a minor elbow injury when she collided with the opposing goalkeeper after an offside call and was taken out of the rest of the game.

While the second half contained many turnovers from both teams, Ryerson held onto its lead by not allowing RMC to have much possession of the ball. RMC did come on strong in the final five minutes, but it was not enough to tie the game.

Rodkin said despite the two wins this weekend, there is more work to be done.

“We played well, but I think we have more in us than what we did today,” she said.

The Rams next play the University of Toronto on Saturday, Sept. 27. Kick-off is at noon at the Monarch Park field.