Men’s soccer scores 10th win of season

By Brandon Buechler

The mercury was low and emotions were high at Monarch Park as the Ryerson men’s soccer team (10-1-0) beat the Carleton Ravens 2-0.

Both goals came in the first half of the game — the first by second-year midfielder Nick Lambis in the ninth minute and the second in the 40th from third-year forward Luka Lee.

Lee’s goal capped a strong first half for the Rams, which woke their fans who were seemingly quieted by a bitter October wind.

However, a different kind of wind appeared to blow at the backs of the Ravens in the second half.

Carleton returned to the pitch with new energy and dominated a hesitant Ryerson defence.

Lee said the Rams expected Carleton to battle hard in the second half.

“That’s just the kind of team they are,” he said.

Carleton’s energy was evident in their style of play, as they began to rough up on the Rams — much to the annoyance of Ryerson supporters.

In the 52nd minute, Carleton was given the first of four yellow cards in the second half.

Nine minutes later, in the 61st, a member of Carleton’s coaching staff was ejected from the game.

Then in the 79th minute, Carleton defender David Eiblmeier received yellow and red cards to complement his 52nd minute yellow.

Stephen Piliotis and Christian Maraldo got yellow.

Associate Coach Filip Prostran said his squad did falter in the second half to Carleton’s offence, but he was still happy with the victory.

“The boys took this game personally, especially after the way Toronto beat us here last week,” he said. “We ran down the clock and got it done.”

The men’s next game comes on Oct. 11 in Kingston against Queen’s University. Kick-off is at 3:15 pm at West Campus Field.