A new loft for Hillel at Ryerson

By Stefanie Phillips

Hillel at Ryerson is expanding their organization to include a loft for Jewish students on campus.

The group has more than 1,000 members who are signed up for their weekly newsletter and attend events. Ruchie Shainhouse, President of the Student Board, has wanted a space where Jewish students can become a community since her first year. The loft is a temporary project that runs from now until May and if there’s enough interest, there’s potential for it to become long term.

“We’re hoping to really make this a hangout space for the jewish community,” Shainhouse said.

The loft, located at 2A Elm St., has four offices, a kitchen and a large gathering room.

Shimmy Silverman, a Ryerson graduate student, said he has big plans for the loft’s first year. “It’s large enough that you can host anything, you can have movie nights, guest speakers, guest lectures, game nights [and] even speed dating.”

Both Jewish and non-Jewish students are welcome to visit the loft — whether it’s to grab a coffee, eat lunch with friends or hangout between classes.

Allysa Moses, the project coordinator, said that Hillel at Ryerson is a sister organization of Hillel of GTA, who is currently co-funding the space. There are also Hillel groups at the University of Toronto and York University.

Daniel Safran, a Hillel at Ryerson member and student, is happy to know that there is a welcoming place on campus where he can always come and hangout.

“A place is what’s needed to build a community and a network,” said Safran. “It gives a platform for more people to get involved.”