Men’s hockey grows their mo’s

By Brandon Buechler

Mark Corbett and the Ryerson men’s hockey team hosted their fourth annual pub night Nov. 18, raising nearly $1,500 for the university’s Movember campaign.

The fundraiser, started in 2011 by Corbett and held at Gracie O’Malley’s Pub and Restaurant, has become well known for its ability to draw the athletic community together to support the campaign.

Corbett, who said the event provides an opportunity for Ryerson’s athletes to unwind before their exams, get to know people in the community as well as raise money for prostate cancer.

“We’re one of Ryerson’s leading teams, as far as being visible,” Corbett said. “But it’s unfortunate with our schedule that we can’t get involved with the community a lot. So this is one way we do.”

Proceeds are raised through donations at the door, 100 per cent of which are given to Ryerson’s Movember campaign on behalf of the men’s hockey team.

Victor Terreri, a fourth-year winger for Ryerson, says he’s participated in the event every year.

“I’ve had people in my life who’ve been touched by prostate cancer,” Terreri said. “I do it as a memento to them, their cause and the battle they went through.”

Terreri has personally raised about $800. He said supporters donate directly to him in support of his mustache, and of course, the charity.

Although Terreri wasn’t directly involved with the event, he said he thought it was a success.

“It was a good night. A great way to spend your Tuesday, relax and take a break from the homework.”

Ryerson’s head coach Graham Wise said although he didn’t attend the event, he thought it was a great way for the teams to give back to the community as well as bond.

“Mark does a good job at organizing it,” he said. “He looked at the team’s schedule and made sure it didn’t conflict with games, so from a coach’s standpoint, it’s a positive.”

The men’s Movember campaign runs until the end of November. You can get involved by emailing rams.community@ryerson.ca