New coach hired for Ryerson figure skating team

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

Ryerson’s figuring skating team has hired Tiffany Elliot to be its new head coach.

Elliot was a member of NEXXICE (Team Canada 1) in 2008-2009 when they won the World Synchronized Skating Championships in Zagreb, Croatia, bringing home Canada’s first-ever gold medal in Synchronized Skating.

“I have been coaching for 9 years, and have skated competitively for over 15 years, and am very happy to bring my experiences and skills to the Ryerson community,” Elliot said in an email.

She led the Gold Ice Synchronized Junior Skating Teams in Brampton, Ontario to first and second place finishes at the Canadian National Championships, and a second and seventh place finish at the World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships.

“We are excited to have some with Tiffany’s experience to lead our program,” said Ryerson’s associate athletic director, Stephanie White, in a statement. “The figure skating team will be building on the success of last season when we won our first OUA team medal and Tiffany’s experience will help our skaters see continued success.”

Elliot replaces former coach Lauren Wilson, who has moved onto a full-time role as the athletics academic services coordinator. Elliot said she is looking to build on the direction Wilson was taking the team.

“I hope to work with this year’s team to come up with a vision statement, and set long-term goals with the team to work towards in future seasons to come,” she wrote. “I’m told I’m now part of the Ramily, so I will work hard to make sure Ryerson Figure Skating is on the map in the coming years.”