Women’s basketball wins home opener

By: Evan Manning

The Ryerson women’s basketball team (3-0) entered Wednesday’s game against the Western Mustangs undefeated.

Playing their home opener in front of a boisterous crowd, they kept it that way, beating the Mustangs 67-56 in a game where the final score doesn’t do justice to how dominant they were.

The Rams are now in first place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division, while the winless Mustangs remain in last in the West.

Fourth-year Rams guard Keneca Pingue-Giles was the best player on both ends of the court, leading the teams with 18 points, five assists and six steals.

“I just tried to pressure who I was guarding on the defensive end, and I ended up getting some easy steals,” said Pingue-Giles.

Rams guard Mariah Nunes chipped in with eight points and six rebounds, and Sofia Paska provided a force off the bench with eight points of her own.

Ryerson made five, three-pointers to the Mustangs two, and got to the line with ease, shooting seven more free throws.

The Mustangs actually outshot the Rams 50 per cent to 42.4 per cent, but they could not overcome their 23 turnovers.

Western was led by their point guard, Caroline Wolynski, who drove hard to the net repeatedly on her way to a team-high 15 points.

The high point in the game came midway through the third quarter when Pingue-Gilles splashed in a corner three, giving Ryerson a 26-point lead.

The Mustangs tried to make things interesting with a late run in the fourth quarter but in the end the Rams strong defence was too much.

Head coach Carly Clarke was pleased with her team’s effort, as well as the support of the crowd.

“It was good to get the win,” said Clarke. “The crowd was great, their cheering gave us energy.”

The Rams will try to get to 4-0 this Saturday at home against the top-ranked team in the country, the Windsor Lancers.