Women’s volleyball remains undefeated

By Josh Weinstein

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team kept their momentum going on Halloween, improving to 3-0 in OUA competition after defeating the Queen’s Gaels in straight sets (25-17, 25-15, 25-22) at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

Head coach Dustin Reid praised his team’s performance after the game, emphasizing the little things that contributed to the win.

“We served well, we covered our attackers really well. When we got blocked, we were in good position to recover the ball,” he said. “We balanced our offense fairly well…I think everyone had a lot of offensive opportunities.”

The Rams got off to a quick start and took the first set in convincing fashion, 25 to 17.

The Rams didn’t let up in the second set either; taking it 25-15 and not letting the Gaels get any momentum.

The Gaels did respond in the third set, but Ryerson matched the increased tempo. Ryerson ultimately won the set 25-22 to clinch the match.

Veronica Livingston led the team with 11 kills while Theanna Vernon had 10 helping lead the Rams to the convincing victory.

Livingston gave credit to her positioning on digs and emphasized that in order to sustain success over the course of the season.

“[The team has to] stay calm throughout rallies and avoid panicking when we’re in there for a long time,” Livingston said.

Reid said the team was happy with their performance tonight and he is proud of how his team has played in their first three matches.

“We know that moving forward our competition is going to get steeper and steeper, which is a reason why it was so important to have a good performance tonight,” he said.

The Rams play their next game at home Nov. 1 against the Royal Military College.