Men’s basketball soars past Blues

By Evan Manning

The title of “Best Toronto Collegiate Basketball team” belongs to the Ryerson Rams.

The Rams (7-2) men’s basketball team continued their impressive start to the season with another blowout win, 92-68, this time over their inner-city rivals, the University of Toronto Varsity Blues (2-7).

The Rams’ first game of 2015 saw them win with such ease that they rolled out fourth-year guard Ostap Choliy in the final quarter. Choliy had yet to play in a game this season.

All he did in his first appearance was calmly sink two jump shots and make his teammates on the bench erupt in support.

Just another night for the Rams, who are ranked third in the country.

While Choliy may have been the story of the fourth, point-guard Jahmal Jones was the story of the game.

Jones put on a dominant performance, fooling opponents with murderous crossovers and silky-smooth jumpers on his way to a game-high 23 points.

“The first game back after the break is the toughest one, but it was really good to get back out there,” said Jones.

The first half saw the Rams not playing their best basketball, as they shot only 38 per cent from the field and led only 43-32.

By the end of the third quarter it wasn’t even close. Adika Peter-McNeilly stripped the ball from a U of T player and raced down court for an emphatic dunk.

Two plays later, backup forward Jean-Victor Mukama finished off an alley-oop to cap off a 20-5 Rams run.

Despite the performance, head coach Roy Rana still knows his team is far from the heights they are capable of climbing to.

“I was a little disappointed, I would only grade our performance a B,” said Rana.

Including Jones, five Rams players scored in double figures. By the end of the game, more cheering could be heard from the Rams bench than the University of Toronto crowd.

Ryerson will return to the court this Saturday at 3:00 p.m. to take on McMaster at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.