Rams dominate Blues in electric home opener

By Devin Jones

The Ryerson women’s basketball team dominated the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 78-36 during their home opener at the Mattamy Athletic Centre Wednesday night.

In front of a packed crowd, the nationally ranked Rams put on a clinic. Guard Keneca Pingue-Giles threw up 17 points while the Ryerson grabbed 72 rebounds throughout the night, setting a new team record.

Ten minutes into the game Ryerson held a comfortable 21-6 lead over the Blues, putting forth a strong case as to why they’re ranked fourth in the country. Both Sofia Paska and Silvana Jez brought down 14 rebounds, making their presence known in the paint throughout all four quarters.

Defense was a major sticking point for the team last season, and something they’ve been focusing heavily on during the off-season and in practice leading up to the season opener. The focus on the other side of the ball paid off for the Rams as they held the Blues to 12 points in the second quarter, and a mere 18 points in the entire second half.

Pingue-Giles also nabbed six steals and chipped in five assists to help the Rams win their first game of the year; in a season that carries high expectations for the team that took home a silver medal from the OUA championship tournament last year, and participated in the 2014-2015 CIS national championships.

You cannext  catch the Rams in action on Saturday Nov. 14 against the University of Waterloo Warriors at the Mattamy Athletic Centre, with start time of 1 p.m.