Rams fall short in close game against Windsor

In a game that saw third period drama, the Ryerson Rams fell 2-1 to the Windsor Lancers at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Saturday night.

The Lancers controlled the play throughout most of the game, outshooting Ryerson 48-29. When asked, Ryerson head coach Graham Wise acknowledged that Windsor played well.

“Windsor did a great job. They didn’t give us much room, they created a lot of turnovers, so I give full credit to the way Windsor played,” said Wise.

The Lancers came out flying, outshooting Ryerson 9-2 to start the game. Eric Noel opened the scoring for Windsor eight minutes into the first period, tapping a loose puck past the outstretched leg of Ryerson’s goaltender, Troy Passingham. Passingham’s play kept the game close however, stopping 17 shots fired at him in the period, and making several key saves for the Rams.

In the second period, the teams exchanged chances, but neither could find the back of the net. Ryerson saw two power plays go by without generating any quality opportunities, while Windsor had multiple breakaways.

Troy Passingham continued his stellar play for Ryerson in the third period, making several key stops. Halfway through the period, Passingham made a giant toe save off of a Brennan Feasey shot at the side of the net to keep the Rams alive. Graham Wise later praised his starting goaltender’s play, saying Passingham was “outstanding”.

Ryerson finally got on the board when Daniel Clairmont put a shot over the shoulder of Lancers’ goaltender Richard Blake to tie the game at one. But just as the Rams seemed to have momentum, Tyson Ness gave Windsor the lead once again, scoring just 21 seconds later. After the Lancers’ goal, Ryerson defenceman Alex Basso took a penalty for kneeing, and then Michael Fine was called for slashing, sealing the Rams’ fate.

Ryerson defenceman Luke Mercer was optimistic about the game, saying the team will find goals if they play simple.

“Our forwards sometimes are a little bit too cute. If we just keep firing pucks and crashing the net we’re going to get our goals,” said Mercer. “On paper we’re one of the top teams in the OUA, and preparing for playoffs we need to finish out this season with a bang.”

Ryerson’s next game will take place on Thursday, February 28th, when the Rams host the Guelph Gryphons at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.