Nour Hadidi

Feminists get funny at DisOrientation week

By Sidney Drmay

Sept. 14 saw another edition of Shit’s and Giggles, a feminist comedy night, as a part of DisOrientation week at Ryerson.

DisOrientation, organized by the Ryerson Students’ Union and Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson,* exists to encourage “learning to unlearn our assumptions, engaging in thought-provoking discussion and art, and rediscovering our relationships to each other.”

The night featured an all-female comedian line-up with Nour Hadidi, Cathy Boyd, Ify Chiwelu, Hoodo Hersi, and Courtney Gilmour. There were jokes about sex, cake, menstruation and how shitty diets are.

Host Natalie Norman provided introductions and additional jokes between the comedians declaring her love for Loblaws cake. Recently, she had them make her a cake that said, “Fuck white feminists.” (White feminist is the term used for people who do not consider the intersectionality of race, gender, class, and sexuality in their feminism.)

Nour Hadidi, a stand-up comic in Toronto, was invited by other performers to join the bill. She grew up in the Middle East in Jordan and believes that her performing stand up is an important thing for Arab girls.

“I feel like it’s important for me to speak up and show that Arab women can be strong and funny and say what they want on stage and I think it speaks to global feminism that I can do that,” said Hadidi.

*A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that DisOrientation was organized by the Ryerson Students’ Union. The Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson was also involved in organizing the week. The Eyeopener regrets this error.