Men’s hockey: Rams open homestand with loss to York

By Daniel Rocchi

• York goalie Alex Fotinos makes 38 saves
  • Lions score four powerplay goals
  • Rams score OUA-best third shorthanded goal

The Ryerson men’s hockey team fell 6-2 to the York Lions to open their five-game homestand at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Thursday night.

Ryerson suffered its second regulation loss of the year despite outshooting York 40-23, as first-year goaltender Alex Fotinos made 38 saves and the Lions scored four powerplay goals.

York forward Scott Feser had the eventual game-winner with a shot from the point on the powerplay, putting his team up 3-2 with less than four minutes to play in the second period.

Ryerson had tied the game just 48 seconds earlier when Aaron Armstrong kept and scored short-side on a shorthanded two-on-one. The goal was Ryerson’s OUA-leading third shorthanded goal of the season and Armstrong’s fifth of the season, putting him in a three-way tie for the team lead. Forward Daniel Clairmont opened the scoring for the Rams with his first of the year a little less than five minutes into the game, but the Lions tied it with their first powerplay marker of the night less than 90 seconds later.

York scored another powerplay tally and a five-on-five goal in the third before adding a short-handed empty netter to secure the win.

With the victory, York improves to 6-3-0 and leapfrogs Ryerson to move into first place in the OUA West. The Rams fall to 5-2-1 and have a game in hand over the Lions. After beating Ryerson 2-1 in double overtime on Oct. 22, the Lions win the season series against the Rams for the first time since winning their only matchup in 2011.

NOTES: Former Ryerson head coach Graham Wise was honoured in a pre-game ceremony. Wise announced his retirement in June after 10 seasons as the head coach of the Rams. He also spent 19 seasons as York’s head coach, winning the OUA and CIS titles twice each. Both teams presented him with tokens of appreciation.

UP NEXT: The Rams host the University of Toronto on Nov. 5 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. Puck drop is set for 6:30 pm.