Men’s volleyball: Rams edge out win over Varsity Blues

By Daniel Rocchi

• Lucas Coleman has game-high 30 kills for Rams
  • Ryerson wins lengthy fourth set 27-25 to force tiebreaker
  • Varsity Blues commit 31 errors to Ryerson’s 28, post negative hitting percentages in second and fifth sets

Ryerson’s men’s volleyball team defeated their crosstown rivals with a 3-2 (19-25, 25-12, 21-25, 27-25, 15-9) victory over the University of Toronto Varsity Blues at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Friday night.

Outside hitter Lucas Coleman had a game-high 30 kills for Ryerson. Setter Adam Anagnostopoulos had 56 assists and libero Will Otten led all Rams with 9 digs to go along with two assists and a service ace.

Trailing by five points in the tie-breaking set, the Varsity Blues committed three straight errors to extend Ryerson’s lead and propel the Rams to their fourth win in six November matches.

Ryerson improves to 5-3 on the year, while Toronto falls to 2-4. The Rams are tied for first in the OUA East with 10 points, but sit second behind Queen’s, who have a game in hand. The Varsity Blues are fifth in the division.  

Down two sets to one in the fourth and tied 24-24, The Rams pulled out the lengthy win as a trio of Coleman kills gave Ryerson three of the next four points for the victory.

After dropping the opening set, the Rams were dominant in the second. Ryerson led for the entirety of the set and had an eight-point lead at the technical timeout, but the Varsity Blues would take control back with a third-set win before the Rams triumphed in the fourth and fifth.

UP NEXT: The Rams face the Trent Excalibur on Saturday evening at the Mattamy Athletic Centre at 6 p.m.  The Excalibur are new to the OUA this season, returning from a multi-year hiatus, and are winless in six matches to start the campaign.