Rams men’s soccer cleans up OUA East awards

By Daniel Rocchi

Ryerson’s men’s soccer team has won several OUA awards following the best regular season in team history.

Rams midfielder Raheem Rose was named the OUA East Division MVP with 11 goals in 11 regular-season appearances, while head coach Filip Prostran won the OUA East Coach of the Year award. Both won their respective awards for the second straight year.

Defender Robert Boskovic was selected as the East division’s Rookie of the Year, making 13 appearances for a defence that allowed eight goals in 16 games. He also had a goal and three assists.

Forward Jamie Baker, midfielder Luka Lee and keeper Praveen Ahilan were all first-team OUA all-star selections along with Rose and Boskovic. Defender Kyle Stewart was selected as a second-team all-star.

Baker finished third in OUA goal-scoring with 11 tallies, making 12 appearances but starting just six of those.  Lee tied for fifth in assists with five, adding four goals in 15 games. Stewart scored once in his 14 appearances, starting all of them. Ahilan was 10-1 in 11 games for Ryerson, leading the OUA in save percentage and goals against average and finishing tied for second with seven cleansheets.

The Rams went 14-1-1 this season, including a 13-game winning streak to start the year. Ryerson plays Guelph in the OUA semi-finals at Birchmount Stadium at 3 pm on Nov. 5.