Photo: Izabella Balcerzak

Rye fashion show goes on without a glitch

By Izabella Balcerzak

A diverse group of Ryerson models showcased Fashion Student’s designs at Ryerson’s pre-Mass Exodus fashion show on Nov. 23, representing the technological theme of “Splice.”

“We wanted to make something more innovative [using] technology.” said the show’s producer, Krizia Peluso. The show used reflective windows, glitching pixelated videos and computer themed voiceovers.

Some designs included leather pieces or straps, paired with metallic makeup. The palette included the strong use of blue and yellow (worn on lips and eyelids) and black bodysuits. All designs were worn by models of different body types and genders.

The models strutted their way down the halls of the Rogers Communication Centre (RCC), replacing the typical rush of students rushing to class, day by day.

Zoya Shaban, a third year fashion communication student, said that the space was designed for a specific reason. “We wanted it very intimate [and] we wanted interactions with the garment”, she says, pointing towards the group of models standing still on a set of blocks. After the show’s end, the audience was invited to go up to the models and see the designs up close.

[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”300″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_slideshow” gallery_width=”678″ gallery_height=”452″ cycle_effect=”fade” cycle_interval=”5″ show_thumbnail_link=”0″ thumbnail_link_text=”[Show picture list]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
The audience could also walk around the space and view the photography work displayed on the walls. The exhibit featured editorial and accessory shoots from the fashion communications students, who were the organizers of the event.

Shaban says the turnout of the event was bigger than anticipated.

The viewing area quickly filled up as people took their seats, and within moments, both sides had filled up with people having to stand to catch a glimpse of the fashion.

“It inspires us to create a bigger Mass Exodus.” said Shaban. “I can’t imagine how many people are coming to Mass Exodus. It’s very inspiring.”

The Mass Exodus show will feature a collection of outfits from 4th year fashion design student, Adrian Arnieri. His fur and leather piece was chosen as the closing piece for the pre-Mass Exodus show as a preview to his work.

Arnieri says his designs are his “way of changing the traditional norms.” His collection will include the same fur and leather combination but in evening wear for women. “It should be exciting.”

The designs will be different than those selected for the Mass Exodus, taking place on April 8th at Ryerson. The pre-Mass Exodus PR coordinator, Olivia Homes, confirms there will be “a big surprise” to look forward to.