Women’s hockey: Rams end 2016 with win over Laurier

By Brenda Molina-Navidad

• Ryerson makes winning comeback after conceding first two goals of the game
  • Elexa Pakozdy’s first goal as a Ram ties the game at 2-2 in the third period
  • Rams in a four-way tie for last OUA playoff spot

Ryerson’s women’s hockey team won their last game of 2016 by claiming a 3-2 victory over the Laurier Golden Hawks at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Thursday night.

Rams Forward Sarah McGilvary passed the Hawks defense, skated in and buried the winning goal with seven minutes left in the game. Ryerson outshot Laurier 42-25 in their second win against the Golden Hawks this season.

Ryerson takes a 4-1-4-3 record into the holidays. With 17 points, the Rams sit tied with OUIT, Toronto and Queen’s for eighth place in the OUA standings.

Ryerson was down 2-1 entering the third period. Four minutes in, Jessica Prevette had an early chance shooting from far out, but the puck sailed over the crossbar. Shortly after, Elexa Pakozdy tied the game with the first goal of her Ryerson career.  

Laurier’s Emily Woodhouse put the puck in the back of the net barely two minutes into the second frame. Morgan Bates made it 2-0 less than four minutes later and Rams goalie Rachel Seeley was replaced by Sydney Authier. Seeley made nine saves on 11 shots while Authier stopped all 14 shots she faced to earn the win.

Before the period ended, Kryshanda Green scored her team-leading eighth goal of the season. Green is tied for fourth in the OUA in both goals and points.

UP NEXT: The Rams open 2017 on the road against the Western Mustangs on Saturday Jan. 7. Puck drops at 4 p.m. Ryerson’s first home game of the new year is against the Waterloo Warriors at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Jan. 14. Puck drops at 2:15 p.m.