Lifesum displayed on an iPhone and an Android phone.
Courtesy Lifesum

App of the Week: Lifesum

By Sylvia Lorico

Lifesum helps you choose a healthy lifestyle using reminders and customized plans. Available for free on Android and iOS, this app tracks your activity and gives you tips for a healthier lifestyle.

You are required to make an account in order to use the app.

Users can choose from three separate plans: lose weight, gain weight or be healthier. Each plan requires you to enter additional information including your birthday, height and weight.

Depending on which plan you choose, the app will adjust the number of calories you need for the day. It will list the recommended amount of calories for each meal. Like a food diary, you can input what you eat for each meal by scanning the barcodes of items, or by adding them manually.

The app will also make notifications your phone, reminding you to eat meals and to drink water throughout the day. It also offers recipes for meals based on what your plan as well as what you eat for each meal daily.

Like with the meal plan, you can record your exercise on the app by manually inputting details. There is also an option to connect your device to apps that track your steps or exercise habits such as Apple Health, Fitbit, MyFitnessPal or S Health.

For users looking for a more comprehensive overview of their living habits, there are additional options to evaluate your health. Under the clipboard section of the app, you can choose specific plans which contain outlines for meal plans each day.

You can also take a “life score” test. This test asks you questions about your diet, levels of exercise and intake of water. The app generates a report which recommends ideal amounts of food items and exercise for each week.