Top four Rams teams to watch during the 2018-19 season

By Christian Ryan

Ryerson offers a wide range of sports teams and events, affording the student body a chance to come out and support their school on a provincial and national stage. With so many options of teams and games to watch, deciding which events you want to show your pride at can be a task on its own. Before you head to the Mattamy Athletic Centre in your blue and gold gear, here are some can’t-miss teams that you must see in your first year.

Women’s Volleyball: Ryerson’s women’s volleyball team grabbed headlines in 2017-18, claiming the university’s first U SPORTS national championship at the completion of an undefeated season. While their games have historically had lower attendance numbers than some of Ryerson’s other programs, this season provides a chance to see a piece of the university’s history in action.

The team’s home opener takes place Wednesday, Oct. 24, against the Brock Badgers, a key OUA (Ontario University Athletics) rival.

Men’s Basketball: Off of two consecutive silver medals in the U SPORTS Final 8, the Rams men’s basketball team enters this season with something to prove. Typically the Rams’ rowdiest and best-attended games, make sure to arrive early with your game face on.

The season opens with a local grudge match against the U of T Varsity Blues on Friday, Oct. 26.

Women’s Basketball: One thing you will learn very quickly is that Ryerson has a strong women’s basketball culture behind coach Carly Clarke. While the team is coming off two early playoff exits, after winning the school’s first OUA title in 2015-16, they should find extra motivation in the farewell season of their all-time scoring leader in  Sofia Paska.

Pro-tip: Just like with many other Ryerson teams, the women’s and men’s teams play in tandem, so arriving early guarantees you a full evening of basketball.

Men’s Soccer: A season of adversity still ended with the Rams men’s soccer team placing among the best in OUA competition. Despite forfeiting several wins due to an academic violation, the Rams rallied to claim bronze in the OUA Final Four. Fresh from a team-building trip to the World Cup in Moscow over the summer break, the Rams are back with eyes on OUA gold and a shot at the national title under coach Filip Prostran.

The Rams’ soccer teams have the distinction of being the most difficult team to view in home games. Without a field downtown, home games take place farther north at Downsview Park. However, with the new extension to TTC Line 1, supporting the team has never been easier.

Pro-tip: The easiest game for Rams fans to reach are U of T home games at Varsity Stadium, with the first taking place Sunday, Sept. 2.